The History of Sertoma and the Liberty Sertoma Club

Sertoma was founded on April 11, 1912 in Kansas City, Mo., where its world headquarters remains today.

The principal founders were Dr. George Smith, Dr. Charles Allen, and William Rowe.  It was known as the "Stand-Together Club" even before being organized under its official name as the Co-Operative Club.  In 1950, the official name was changed to Sertoma, coined from the phrase "Service To Mankind," reflecting the unity of its purpose and standing for teamwork in action.

The Liberty Sertoma Club was chartered in 1968 as a charitable corporation in the State of Missouri. Each year, the club contributes to the community through direct volunteer services and support of other organizations which serve the community.